Thursday 21 May 2009

Job 1?

After having that deep career, summer spending, wedding and other marlarky stuff talk, I looked more into the Afghanistan assignment. I realise how much I really want to do this. Yeah, some of you may think I'm crazy for putting myself out there, and do I realise there is a war going on etc... YES I DO, and yes I do want to go. Who wouldn't want to take this opportunity to go to one of the most actual beautiful countries in the world and come back showing the others what and how life is out there, while we are here, soaking up the sun, all happily merry, drinking beers and forgetting what's going on around the world.

I've spoken about Afghan to afew of my friends and half are praising me and the other half, says, yep, I'm crazy!
One in particular, the EX, actually provided me with some excellent links which has inspired me and made me even more hungry for it.

The link he gave me was THIS.


I was shocked and stunned with what these Photographers went through and captured. That's the shit I'm talking about man!
One photographer in particular, Alvaro Ybarra Zavala had a feature of his photos out in Afghanistan!
Yeah, he gave me ideas on what I could shoot and what images would be effective, but looking at his images hit me. Hit me like those hard iron cannon balls right in the heart. It was deep.

While in Paris with MB, we went to the Maison European De La Photographie on rue de Fourcy.

Exhibiting there was Laurent Van der Stockt, also known as 'War Photographer'.
I told MB about a film I purchased from Vietnam (yes a dodgy DVD) 'War Photograhper' and what the film was about. I watched it on my own, and I shed tears of sorrow on my own. Yep, that gripping! That film HAS to be watched for any photographers.
The film documents the War Photographer on his travels in war zones and you see what he has to go through and see the images he produces from his travels, interviews and one on one talks. It's mind blowing stuff!

It was really nice to visit the exhibition and see Stockts' images displayed. Other photographers were exhibiting, but none struck at me, like when I got hit by a Black Punto car years ago in Islington to get bloody milk!
The whole fashion photography doesn't interest me, but doesn't mean I will rule it out.
I like the nitty gritty stuff and stuff that makes you stunned and speechless. Stuff that makes you drop your yumchaa tea and just be gob smacked. Yep, that IS WHAT I AM going to do!
Soooo, on that note,

Brett, take me there!
100% ON IT!

No comments: