Sunday 24 June 2012

Nike Lunar Run 21.06.12

I had no idea what the event was about. I was selected. Reluctant to go as I didn't know anyone who was going to it.

I had a feeling it was about the soon to be release of the new Lunarglide+ 4 running shoe, or perhaps a diffusion run of the Hong Kong Lunar runs they do!?

Anyway.... I reluctantly went. But I thought it would be a good recovery run from the Dulwich 5k. The only thing that was really holding me back was that I had taken my kitten Monty to get her castrated that morn. (Yes, she has a boys name!) So I wanted to keep an eye on her really! Luckily I had my sister indoors to keep watch. So I went.
Not having to be at the Nike Covent Garden store till 8:30pm, I drove and thank fuck I found a parking space close by cos it was starting to piss down.

2nd one to arrive at the doors, I waited patiently.
"Orsii!!" wahay! Someone I knew!
Next, Shameek, then Alki and then Annie! And I thought I wasn't gonna know anyone! Phew!
To be honest though, there was a massive divide. You didn't get that Run Dem Crew family atmosphere there. No one spoke to no one. All silence and on their phones. No one made anyone feel at ease at being there. This is what I've heard about these Nike running clubs. It's pretty brutal. No one is friendly to one another and if u don't keep up, well, your left behind. What's that all about? I must see for myself one day!

Doors open, names checked in, Lunar Run tshirt given, bags checked in, and now all ready to see what our night had entailed! It was rather exciting!

A guy did a mini presentation on the, yes, I guessed it, new Lunarglide shoe. And my gosh, is it beautiful!

I over pronate when I run, so these were becoming almost perfect for me! Lighter, more support, so what more could I ask for???!!!? Perhaps to get a free pair!?

Oh yes! All 80 of us runners got a free pair to run in that evening and to keep!
Amazing! And you know what? The shoe fit like a glove. Got a tingle down my spine when I put my new shoes on!!

So all runners all geared and fuelled up, we were going to run the Covent Garden standard 5k run. From Covent Garden to somewhere to Embankment, to the Millennium bridge and then back round again, and over another bridge by the London eye and that.

It was pouring, absolutely pouring with rain, but none the less, great fun!!!
I ran with fellow RDC West runner Annie, and we paced well. Her coins jingling in her pocket made a good pace noise for me to run to! Ha!

I kept my run mellow, as my knees were still in a bit of pain from the Dulwich run. The run was great fun, but I did have to walk for about a minute to make sure my knee wasn't going to injure me entirely! I kept on hearing, "She's walking, stop walking". And you know what, that fucking pissed me off! No offence to a motto I try to comply with (don't stop, run/jog slower) I was offended at that guy telling a fellow runner that I am walking! I looked at him and said: "I have a injured knee, I am allowing myself some time out to ease off it".
He said something, that to be honest, went in one ear and out the other. I said, "Fine, I'll run so I can just hide from you!". So I did, then I heard them say: "Oh, we have a runner!!!". Sarcastic or not, FUCK OFF!!!!
He pissed me right off, which just made me want to run away from him! What sort of pacer is that!? What sort of running leader is that!? What support was that!?
Anyway, that was the only thing that pissed me off. Rant over.
It was overall a great run! Great part was when we all ran through the London theatre, as the plays/musicals had just finished so there was a hoard of tourist leaving the building and creating a mass road coverage of faces and bodies. We ran though them roaring with noise, and with the theatre spectators cheering us on and taking photos. Great moment. Funny too.

That night, made me realise how much of a difference Run Dem Crew is. I know it's such a cliche when I say Run Dem Crew is such a family feeling with support, but it bloody is! You feel at 100% with yourself with the masses of support you get from EVERY single runner there. I can't believe it! Every single person is such a booster! I genuinely thank each and every one of you. You guys are the ones who keep me running! I thank you.

The Lunar Run event was great regardless of that one guy taking the piss of me walking. Nike truly know how to make an event, market the hell out of a product and keep their Nike+ runners happy. I thank you dearly Nike, and I'll sure be stacking those running miles in my amazing Lunarglide+ 4 running shoe!

Thank you!

No comments: