Friday 22 June 2012

Dulwich 5k Run

This was my first 5k run! And I actually found it quite difficult and intimidating.
The late afternoon started off with meeting Tyrone, fellow runner from RDC West at Victoria station to embark the Orpington train to West Dulwich. We had no idea where we had to go from the station, but luckily Simon was on the same train also.

Mega early to meet Cory, our dedicated leader on our runs, so we decided to do some light stretches and chill and get our numbers pinned to our shirts.

Other runners were approaching. Running actually, running to a run. They already look mash up, but I guess another 5k couldn't hurt right?

Wrong! It did! For me!

The starting line... Packed!
As Simone said, it felt like the Lion King where the heard was just running to somewhere. It felt intimidating, overwhelming and exciting at the same time. A simple mark on the floor stating 5k start with white chalk was where we all waited patiently until we were allowed to run.
Go!
People were off! And I mean off!
Simone and I said we would pace together. We pace well together. I felt we went off at a nice steady pace, and it felt nice. We approached a 2k marker, and I thought in my head, wow, that was quick, it can't be that bad! I was wrong! I carried on running, and I just saw the 1k marker!
God dammit! Another 4 to go!
Did one and a half round the park, and then we were marshalled to the main road. The road was a bit all over the place. Small dips here and there. We got to the College Road entrance, and POW, my left knee almost just collapsed on me! I was thinking, oh fucking shit, and started cursing in my head, on why I am even doing this!? But the reason I am doing this 5k is that I have realised how chilled out and more relaxed I have been since I've started running again. My back doesn't ache as much. I don't stress as much, and my life just seems just so so so much easier when I have running in my life. It's weird, and even my work colleague Leila had asked me if I felt different from running because she could see the difference! So that was it, I was getting my self back on track.
My health hadn't been 100% 3 months back, but I do actually feel 100%!
But then, left knee spoke! Yep, I had to keep on running to finish this run!
I had about less than 2k to go, so I said to Simone to just go, as I was going to ease back with the dodgy knee. It helped. I had to walk for about 30 seconds till I mentally got my body and mind to take it easy and don't hurt myself for the sake of finishing under 30 minutes.
With some light jogging, I could see the crowd and finish line to my right. Yes! I was nearly there! But I had to battle a last bit of run uphill! Normally, hills are a pain for people, but this hill was only on a slight gradient, so it actually felt nice! (nice!? I must be mad!) Turned the last bend, and there was that long stretch ahead of me. I looked ahead to see Cory, Tyrone and the rest of the RDC crew, and as I approached, with Goldie playing on my iPod with Angel, I could see them in sight with their cameras ready to pap me! Smiling, gun finger up, I was nearly there.
No banner to break at the finish line, but instead a big fat clicker to mark my time! And also a pretty medal!
Jesus! I done it! Of course I could do it, I run double it every other day, but that run in particular felt difficult!
What have I learnt from this run?
I NEED TO RUN MORE! I need to rack up the miles to prepare me for my dirty half marathon next month! Ekkkkk!

Great night all round!
Loved it!


No comments: