Sunday 19 September 2010

The Cricketer's Pub

When a pub or club is closed because it's become associated with crime or any form of antisocial behaviour, I always feel a little glum. Does shutting down such places change the behaviour of the patrons who gave it its bad reputation or simply move them and the problems they cause for others somewhere else? I'm afraid I think it's bound to be the latter. I felt just the same way when the Palace Pavilion was unplugged a while back, and that was despite gathering a petition against it and giving testimony in court.

That said, I won't be alone in being thankful that The Cricketers is losing its licence. You didn't have to walk past it too often in recent years, especially in the warmer months, to form a firmly bad impression of the place. It's easy to imagine that many people have taken lengthy detours to avoid it at certain times of day and night, and that cannot be OK.

All told, then, I'm glad that on 19 January the Council's licensing sub-committee has revoked the pub's licence with immediate effect. A letter sent to Councillor Rathbone says that the police and the Council's pollution team provided evidence of "frequent" breaches of licensing conditions and "public nuisance" being caused.

Best news I've heard all day. The Yardie pub on the Yardie road has now closed down! We can all live without fear! Horay!

No comments: